Why should we care?
The research is clear. Picture books, chapter books, and nonfiction books can help you integrate social studies content knowledge and skills into your instruction. Literature integrated into social studies:
- engages students & creates curiosity
- highlights & solidifies historical content
- creates empathy
- develops multiple perspectives
- builds deep understanding of historical characters
- presents events as nuanced and complex
But what can it look like when we intentionally integrate literature into our social studies instruction?
During this self-paced course, you'll explore the research more deeply, learn about Culturally Relevant Pedagogy, and discover a variety of instructional strategies and activities.
This free section provides a hook activity, a sample picture book integration strategy, and a PDF of geography tools.